Week 5


I managed to try out the Interval testing feature on my Garmin and loved it. It was time-based since Satellite locating doesn’t work indoors so I ran the 30/40 interval with my training partner. It was, of course, exactly what I needed with the High Intensity test. Out of nowhere, a chest/throat infection showed up for me a few days earlier and I was recovering but it had been a while since my last training run that I decided to run nevertheless.

You can see my run stats here.


I couldn’t help but burst out laughing when I saw the percentage analysis on my heart rate saying I went over 100%. It certainly felt that way with my cold because my throat felt like it had a coin inside it with the air in the windpipe blocking breathing ever so often. It definitely pushed me to my limit with a training effect of 3.9. The first experience of HI while having a cold; not fun.

It’s also a little hard to get rid of a cold in -25 degrees Celsius.


You can see the clear increase in my heart rate on the running portion followed by a decline on the 40 second recovery.

Having run 20 intervals, I felt I was short of my goal because of the shortness of breath. Hopefully more to prove once I am fully recovered. I took a one lap break at Lap 13 for this reason and then continued to do the remaining laps up until I reached a full 20. You can see the dip where I took the one lap recovery. It didn’t feel like much.

We followed the run with a 4 lap cooldown walk. I’m sure I could have walked for 5 more laps. Little benounced to me, my partner mentioned that my leg muscles might have tensed during the one lap break I took and knowing Murphy’s law, I realised it had and it felt lead for the couple hours after. The post-run shower definitely helped but sleeping would have helped a whole load more. Nevertheless, the busy day continued.

Rest of the Week and Remembering

On a completely separate note, I have some very spicy plans for Futsal and am beginning to start to set the wheels in motion. This is a little unorthodox as I am working outside the capacity of being a referee and more as a co-ordinator of the sport. More details to follow over the coming weeks and couple of months.

A bunch of things have happened this past week. I remembered stuff I forgot from earlier too.

Following my Simulation session in the last post, I got high-fives and handshakes from everyone on the way back to my seat including a FIFA fist-bump! I’ll leave you to figure out what that is.

In other news, my rating went up on the system so I went in to update my division preferences.



More recently on Tuesday, the afternoon spelt some Barclays Premier League action with Arsenal dropping points on a draw and Juan Mata making his United debut but my eyes were elsewhere. UEFA Euro Futsal was kicking off only fifteen minutes after the BPL game starts and the last thing I saw was Robin Van Persie give United a 1-0 lead.

The atmosphere of watching Futsal and football is very different. So much more to focus on in football with so many players running in large space trying to get into good positions. I think the biggest difference no doubt is the crowd and commentary. Football crowds are just so much more active and noisy than Futsal that it’s hard not to enjoy the buzz and humming/reaction of the crowds, especially as a referee. Watching Futsal is almost like watching tennis where when something great happens, everyone is buzzed about the skill on display which happens fairly often but you have to be paying attention to catch it!

Here are some shots from the Euro opener.











I also noticed an interesting item. Note that for the time-outs pictured directly above, players, substitutes and coaches are appropriately positioned. Coaches and substitutes off the court and players on/off. Great to see the Law being followed but at the centre of the court, entertainers! 60 second time-out and they wanted to keep things engaging. I guess it was a business decision.

Sunday Futsal

My Futsal match earlier on Sunday had a light moment. Following the fourth game of the night, I was completing the caution summary form to write up the two cautions. As I completed it and was putting the reports away, the next game was started and I hopped to my feet and ran down the touchline from a quick shot on net from kick-off. I signalled the goal clearance as it was off-target and the next thing I heard was “Hey ref!”

I looked to the left and I saw a player showing me a yellow card! I was a little startled at first but then realised he was holding my yellow card. I realised I must have left my yellow card on the ground beside the reports. I smiled at the approaching player and graciously accepted the card. It was a light moment that was enjoyed by everyone. I replied letting him know that I had another double set of cards in my pockets to be always prepared for moments like these. I thought of pulling one of them out to surprise him but decided against it.

Meanwhile on the other field, a referee who saw what happened just shouted over “Did that player just show you a yellow card?” just before bursting out into laughter.


I wore my heart rate monitor for the games on the night as well and found they would get uncomfortable after “long” periods with long generally not being very long. Every so often I would have to pinch at it or re-adjust to be comfortable again. I have stats on those games too but just heart rate monitoring.

I’ve been working on my problem for long-distance travel.

A lot of referee evaluation, referee pay administration and review of completion of match documentation over the week including inspecting equipment and preparing for more. This is the largest referee roster I have managed so far (25) so trying to oversee development in addition to appointments is quite a task.

Plenty of reports to handle as well being on the discipline panel of several sports leagues where cases had to be reviewed and sanctions applied to players for misconduct.

Discipline Panel

More interestingly enough, the assault from Week 1’s discipline case was this week. I knew very little about how proceedings take place. I was dressed up in smart casual and was quite tired that day given a busy day of studies and classes. My co-ref and I were at the location 30 minutes early which was evidently quite early considering that nothing happened until a few minutes after the scheduled time. More people arrived as time passed including the player which was far less tense than would be expected. We exchanged reluctant nods.

The case began in a room with the panel on one end, the complaintent and accused on the other, and witnesses and advisor around. The referees’ reports were read out loud to everyone. The witnesses then left the room and several questions ensued. I stayed quiet unless specifically spoken to and observed proceedings. Most of the scenario questions were asked to Referee 1, my partner. I was the second referee appointed to the game; Referee 2. More was asked and witnesses called in and the matter resolved.

Definitely plenty to take away from Howard Webb’s experience below with thanks to the Referees’ Association.

More running coming up today.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s