To give you a bit of a teaser/backstory, have a read of Third Blind Mouse’s piece on this situation.
People may think that the laws/rules of sports are simple. This scenario can show just how mind-boggling a scenario in football can be.
I thought the natural thing to make this clear is to draw a flowchart. This isn’t a great place to start but it is a good place to clear your head and understand the decision-making process needed if your brain is overloaded. If you aren’t a flowchart buff, here are a few guidelines to understand what’s going on.
- Boxes mean actions that occur
- Diamonds are decisions we must make
- Rectangular ovals are final decisions
More specific to this scenario:
- Green arrows show the decision path to be taken
- Blue arrows are regular decision paths
- The green rectangular oval is the correct final decision
- The red rectangular oval is a decision that cannot be reached under any circumstances in this scenario
A goal and caution is
not possible here because the player that eventually scored was in an offside position but the ball was deliberately played by a defender and interfered with play.
Notice that the entire decision making process here occurs within 3 seconds. Multiple questions, judgements and considerations to make in the process of arriving at the final decision.
Does it make things clearer? Give me a holler Third Blind Mouse!